Elevating Hope: The Promise of Ketamine Therapy in Mental Health Treatment
If you think you may be experiencing trauma symptoms, take this free symptom assessment or speak to a Care Advocate now to learn about treatment options by calling (908) 293-7559.
In the ever-evolving landscape of medical innovation, one breakthrough has been capturing attention for its potential to revolutionize mental health treatment: ketamine therapy. Stella has been a driving force in exploring the benefits of ketamine in addressing a range of debilitating conditions, from anxiety to treatment-resistant depression.
In a recent interview with Veteran Psychedelic Discourse, Dr. Chris Romig, Stella's Director of Innovation, spoke about ketamine therapy, its benefits, and the positive changes he's seen throughout his time in the mental health community.
Unveiling the Power of Ketamine
Ketamine, originally recognized for its use as an anesthetic and pain management tool, has emerged as a beacon of hope in the realm of mental health care. Its application in ketamine infusion sessions offers a promising alternative for those who have struggled with traditional treatments. Stella has a deep understanding of ketamine's mechanisms and effects positions him at the forefront of harnessing its potential for healing.
A Ray of Light for Depression and Anxiety
Depression, especially treatment-resistant depression, can cast a heavy shadow on individuals' lives. Ketamine therapy, with its rapid-acting nature, offers a glimmer of hope. The infusion sessions have shown efficacy in providing relief where other treatments have fallen short. Similarly, for individuals grappling with anxiety disorders, the soothing effects of ketamine therapy can provide a welcome respite from the often overwhelming symptoms.
Navigating the Treatment Journey
Patients often have questions about the practical aspects of ketamine therapy:
- Frequency of Sessions: Stella recommends two sessions per week over three weeks. The two sessions a week allow for better integration, introspection, and recovery. If more sessions are needed after the six sessions, we will address them on an individual basis
- Safety Considerations: Under proper medical supervision, ketamine therapy is considered safe. The expertise of professionals like Dr. Chris Romig and Dr. Bruce Nadro, Stella's Medical Director of Ketamine, ensures that each session is conducted with the utmost care and attention to patient well-being.
- Insurance Coverage: Some insurance companies do cover ketamine, but usually require pre-authorization. However, at this moment, Stella does not accept insurance for ketamine, as the patients will always be self-paying. Patients are encouraged to engage with both treatment providers and insurance companies to gain a clear understanding of potential costs.
- FDA Approval: Ketamine has long been FDA-approved as an anesthetic medication. The nasal spray form of ketamine, Esketamine, is FDA-approved for treating suicidal ideation. Just as SGB is used in an off-label way for other symptoms and concerns, ketamine is also legally used by licensed healthcare providers to address symptoms of depression and anxiety. Off-label use of medications long known to have strong safety profiles is common within the practice of medicine. Across the field of practice, an estimated 30% of all medications are prescribed off-label, including many cancer drugs, and are frequently used by physicians even though they are not FDA-approved for that particular purpose. A classic example is that aspirin is often prescribed to reduce cardiac risk factors, an application for which it is not "FDA approved" to address. In the same way, Stella's innovative treatments are used to address a range of symptoms that have shown promise within the body of peer-reviewed medical literature.
How Stella maximizes the therapeutic value of Ketamine
Stella helps patients capture the value of these sessions through three primary strategies:
- Capturing the content of ketamine treatment
- Making meaning of the content that is revealed during these sessions
- Developing a specific plan of action to put insights into action
Supporting these three elements gives patients the best opportunity to turn key insights into long-lasting healing and growth.
Stella offers integration sessions as a part of its ketamine treatment plan. Patients are scheduled to meet with a Stella Advanced Practice Provider on the day following their ketamine treatment. These sessions are 45 minutes in length and are designed to be short-term in nature. Patients will have the opportunity to participate in integration sessions for each ketamine medication session they complete through Stella.
The integration sessions are designed to maximize the benefits of Stella's biological treatments in a way that adds value for patients who choose to pursue long-term therapy outside of Stella, whether through a Stella therapy provider like APN or with a trusted therapist they have been seeing prior to entering Stella care. We respect these therapeutic relationships and encourage patients to pursue longer-term therapeutic interventions if individuals find these helpful for maintaining the gains from treatment plans.
A Glimpse of the Future
In the quest to alleviate the burdens of mental health conditions, ketamine therapy stands as a beacon of hope. Stella's unwavering dedication to staying abreast of the latest research and our commitment to providing innovative treatment showcases the potential of ketamine to transform lives. As the medical community continues to explore the frontiers of healing, ketamine therapy's promise shines brightly, offering renewed possibilities for those in need of healing.
Ready To Kickstart Lasting Relief?
Stella is a trusted authority in treating emotional trauma, mental health challenges, and long COVID symptoms with innovative treatments like Stella's ketamine protocol and the dual sympathetic reset (DSR), an advanced stellate ganglion block (SGB). If you want to find out more information about treatment with DSR SGB, please speak to our care advocate by calling 908-293-7559.