Please find below answers to the most frequently asked questions about Stella.
If you do not find an answer you are looking for, or if you would like to speak with a consultant in confidence and for free you can book time here.
Treatment by Stella is a commitment to your recovery, from first contact through to the moment you feel like yourself again.
Before your Visit
- Get to Know Each Other: We will review your symptoms, your medical history and provide you with a full understanding of our program to determine if treatment by Stella and SGB are right for you.
- Financing: We partner with CareCredit to help you with financing and assist you with the application if needed. Our Patient Care Coordinators will also identify if you qualify for any of the grant programs that help cover the cost of SGB.
- Travel stipends and discounts: We offer stipends to assist with the added cost of travel and provide discounts (to those who qualify) to eliminate as many barriers as possible to welcome you through the doors of Stella.
Day of Visit
- Local or twilight anesthesia: This is an entirely personal choice based on your level of comfort.
- Stella's SGB Treatment: Over 80% of our patients experience success with their initial procedures, often these effects are immediate. Note, numerous procedures (if necessary) are included in the upfront cost.
After your Visit
- Follow up: Once you're patient at Stella, you can remain one for as long as you need us. We offer a 50% discount for follow-on SGB treatments should you need them.
- Referrals to additional therapies: We are able to refer specialized practitioners from our network of certified therapists who are aligned with your Stella treatment plan.
- Ongoing monitoring and care: Stella's Patient Care Coordinators will continue to track your progress and make sure your needs are being met through ongoing follow-up assessments.
If you have any questions or concerns about Treatment by Stella and what it means to you, our Patient Care Coordinators are standing by to answer your questions.
Stella's treatment is built on a new understanding of PTSD and its causes. Dr. Lipov, the Chief Medical Officer at Stella, is credited with innovating the Stellate Ganglion Block ("SGB") as an intervention for trauma symptoms.
After experiencing trauma, the way our brain functions may change in dramatic ways. In some cases, we become "stuck" in fight or flight" mode - which can be observed in certain types of brain scans.
It may be helpful to think about the sympathetic nervous system as being somewhat like an engine. Under normal conditions, we are in "neutral gear," a relatively relaxed state not associated with feeling threatened. However, extreme stressors can shift and lock us into a higher gear, where we may remain for years or even decades. This state may involve "feeling constantly revved up and being unable to throttle down." Common indicators of this altered biological state include symptoms like disrupted sleep, anger attacks, overwhelming panic, difficulties concentrating, a feeling of constantly being on "high alert," and a strong startle response - in other words, the "hyperarousal" cluster of post trauma symptoms.
Stella's adaptation of SGB involves injecting a widely available, commonly used anesthesia into a bundle of nerves in the neck, just above the collarbone. The injected medication has the short-term effect of soothing and "re-setting" the overactive nerves, operating in the same temporary way as the Novocaine administered by a dentist. To return to the earlier analogy, SGB seems to manually pop a "stuck gear" back into "neutral."
We believe in transparency of treatment outcomes. And although no medical procedure is guaranteed to work for all people, 83% of Stella's patients report significant improvements in their PTSD symptoms.
According to the US Department of Veteran Affairs guidelines, a successful outcome in alleviating PTSD symptoms is defined as a 10 or more point drop in the DSM-V PCL questionnaire – this is the same questionnaire as the PTSD Symptom Checker that we invite patients to take. In a sample of 327 Stella patients treated between December 2016 and February 2020, 80% experienced a 10 or more point drop. The average point drop in Stella's patients was 28.9. Stella's data on patient outcomes has been reviewed by an IRB and submitted to a peer reviewed journal for publication (acceptance pending).
The procedure itself takes less than 20 minutes. Between arrival, anesthesia (if opted), the procedure, and follow-up observation, you can expect to spend several hours at Stella on the day of your appointment.
Many patients only require a single procedure to effectively alleviate their PTSD symptoms. However, two to three procedures spread over several years is common – the longest served patient at Stella has had two procedures in a ten year timespan.
In many cases, yes. Patients who have been suffering with the emotional effects of trauma for several years may need further support from their trusted care provider to build on the procedure's success. If you want to explore reducing any prescribed medications, we strongly advocate that you do this only through consultation with your medication prescriber. If you do not currently have therapeutic support, we recommend that you set this up prior to treatment. According to Dr. Springer, Stella's Chief Psychologist, once the most severe biological symptoms of trauma are alleviated, many patients experience a more optimal mind state that allows for more effective psychological and therapeutic gains.
No. The Stellate Ganglion Block procedure is covered by insurance for pain procedures (depending on policy), but Stellate Ganglion Block used in the treatment of symptoms of PTSD is not yet covered by insurance. For more information, schedule a call with our Patient Care Coordinators to speak about financing options.
Yes. Stella is committed to making our treatment accessible and affordable to as many patients as possible. Stella offers financing programs. Stella also offers travel stipends, and other discounts (for those that qualify). For more information, schedule a call with our Patient Care Coordinators to speak about financing options.
To find out if Stella is right for you or to book a procedure, you can:
Book a free consultation with a Patient Care Coordinator
Call us now at 1-866-497-9248
Email us at care@StellaCenter.com
All conversations are in strictest confidence. You will not have to reveal any information that you do not wish to.
We're Always Here To Answer Your Questions
Schedule a call with one of our Patient Care Coordinators to learn more about treatment at Stella.